and was kindly asked by Pauline Randall of Florizel Media to write up a reflective account of the presentation and what kind of impact it had on the students. You can read my full account on Pauline’s website:
I hope Pauline doesn’t mind but here is a snippet for you to read, but please read the full reflection using the link above.
“What I was not prepared for, when I thought about presenting this, was the students were completely unaware that their activity online could have any bearing on their employability. It was clear from the gasps and shocked faces when I introduced the examples of people losing their jobs because of their online activity that I had hit my mark; I was changing their perception of not only social media and social networks, but also of how they are going to use them.”
I also had the event recorded by the Bournemouth University installation of the Echo360 lecture capture system. Here it is;
It was only after I’d finished that I’d remembered I hadn’t said the “Farmville / I Quit” story turned out to be a hoax, but I’ll remember next time!
Links and YouTube videos played in the lecture are:
- Did You Know 4.0 – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ILQrUrEWe8
- United Breaks Guitars (song 1) – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
- CBS News Interview – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0ophSWaRSQ
- “Woman publicly outs boss for playing Farmville at Work” – http://mashable.com/2010/08/10/girl-quits-job-farmville-boss/
- The Fully Sick Rapper – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqGLHluDoe0