Do you have a ‘toxic habit’? Do you know what one even is let alone being able to identify it within yourself?
Calling a habit ‘toxic’ doesn’t mean it’s destroying you, but it might be? It might be something smal you do that’s holding you back, draining your energy, or sapping your confidence. Here are a few examples, see if you can recognise yourself in any of these?
- Trying hard to please others and putting their needs before your own
- Comparing yourself to others
- Spending too long on social media (see the previous item, they are so closely related these days)
- Don’t have your fitness and/or a healthy lifestyle, citing work or other factors as an excuse
- Not consuming four to five servings of fruit per day
- Keeping things bottled up inside and not having an outlet
- Letting something in your past cloud or dictate your present or future
- Saying you’ll do something, and then don’t
If any of this resonates with you? Do you have anything you’d add to the list? Please know you’re not alone and this is your reminder to take care of yourself and see what you are capable of. You are not defined by these habits, rather you are defined by how you deal with them.
Take a few minutes to be honest with yourself about the toxic habits that you might have and put a plan together to change them. We certainly develop habits we are not aware of, but once we are, it is up to us to change them or ignore them. You can’t change who you are, but you can change who you are being. Each and every one of us has that option.” – Kristin O’Donovan